Mar 15, 2011

Library Lovin'

Posted by Kirsten at 3/15/2011 10:05:00 AM
This blog is called "It's Time TO Love Your Library". What I'd like to know , is why do you love your library. Can you give me 5 reasons that don't include "Well, they have lots of books" Here are my five reasons.

1. Everybody has a place that they go. You know the kind of place I mean. When you're having a crappy day and you get in the car and start driving on autopilot and end up a the spot that makes them feel better. Well, the library is that place for me. It has always been the place that no matter what's going on in the outside world, there's always something there, a book or a program that gives me a little separation and perspective about my life.

2. The people! Its very rare that I've walked into a library and not seen a friendly face. That could be because I've worked in the libraries I tend to visit, but even when on vacation, the people I stop to ask questions about their libraries tend to be friendly, respectful and many times just plain fun. This extends not only to the library's staff, but to many of its patrons as well. What better place to strike up a conversation and make new friends, than in the library with a person who loves your favorite authors just as much as you do!

3. Library's today have a lot more to offer than just books and this makes me not just happy, but excited. In addition to the CD's, DVDs and yes,the books too, library's have so much more to offer today. Even in the 20 odd years since I was a kid, services have changed and grown. There are programs for all ages, resources for all kinds of services available outside of the library can be found. My current library, though it's in a small town, has an art gallery and even a theatre that is used by local groups to perform plays and other types of performances. In what other place, besides a library, would you be able to do so many different activities and have access to so many different ideas and services? I get excited just thinking about the possibilities. Libraries are not just holders of books, they are becoming community centers!

4. I love my library because it's a place to go when you have nowhere else to go. Whether your happily married with a houseful of kids, or homeless and living on the streets, the library is always there for you. It doesn't turn you away because you aren't what it wants you to be. It doesn't have expectations. It doesn't care if your smart enough, rich enough or pretty enough. It's there for you anyway. You don't have to get dressed up to go there. There doesn't have to be anything special about you and you are still welcome. What other places can be said to be so accepting? Where else can you go and hang out all day without anyone accusing you of loitering?

5. OK I'm gonna break my own rule here and say that yes, I love my library because of all the books that it has. In reality though, it's not just the books that I love, it's all the places that those books can take me! By picking up a book at my library I can find myself in Neverland with Peter Pan. I can be a bounty hunter in Trenton, New Jersey with Staphanie Plum and her sidekick Lula. I can be right next to Katniss Everdeen as she participates in the Hunger Games and wonder, "what if that was me?" I can hang out with Rob Anybody, No'-As-Big-As-Medium-Sized-Jock-But-Bigger-than-Wee-Jock Jock, the other Nac Mac Feegles and Horace the Cheese as they cause random trouble! I can fly the Stars and save entire galaxies with Honor Harrington and her treecat Nimitz. There are so many doors open to adventure and the only thing putting a limit on where I can go and who I can meet is my own imagination. How could I not love that!?! So yes, I do love the books, not for what they are, but for where they can take me!

These are my five reasons that I love not just my own library, but every library I've ever been to and have yet to visit. What are your 5?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

IT'S TIME TO LOVE YOUR LIBRARY! Copyright © 2010 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template Sponsored by Online Shop Vector by Artshare